Monday, March 26, 2012

Exit Strategy

A few weeks ago, that which I fear most came to pass.

It was a Friday afternoon at the office. Many employees work from home on Fridays, so it was pretty quiet. I wasn't feeling well after an Indian buffet trip the previous night. Normally, I am an avid avoider of public toilets, let alone at work. There is something unprofessional about squatting in the workplace. Sadly, I was given no choice this day. It was coming whether I wanted it to or not.

I cautiously opened the bathroom door. The motion-sensored lights snapped on to reveal an empty, clean men's room. I grabbed a toilet-liner and headed for the furthest-away stall. Preparing everything with as much dignity as possible, I sat down and went about my business.

I didn't think anyone would actually come in, but I made several courtesy flushes just in case. Bathroom etiquette is very important.

Everything was proceeding as well as could be expected. I was quite pleased to have privacy for this delicate moment. And then it happened...

The overhead lights snapped off.

I stifled a scream.

With no windows, it was pitch black. Thoughts flooded through me.

Is someone in here? Dear God. Say something!

"H-hello?" I squeaked into the darkness.

Maybe the janitor shut the lights off... maybe it's five o'clock already... no... it can't be... I would have heard the door open... unless someone snuck in here...

I shivered. My mind reeled with the possibilities of knife-wielding killers slipping into the men's room. Of mindless zombies shambling under the stall wall and feasting on my exposed flesh.

I'm going to die. I'm going to be killed. At work. In the bathroom. In the dark. On a toilet. Smelly and alone.

My corpse will be discovered on Monday morning. Slumped over. Pants around my ankles. Flies everywhere.

I was sitting in the utter darkness, panicked and sweating through my dress shirt.

Just breathe. Calm down. Don't be an idiot. Nobody is in here. You're alone. Killers don't come into company bathrooms to murder people, and even if they did, they wouldn't do it in the dark... right? Right. So who turned off the lights...? Nobody. They're automatic you retard. You're taking too long and they went off. Everything's fine. Just move around and they'll come back on.

I waved my arms around my head.

Nothing.

I stood up.

Nothing.

I shuffled towards the stall door, pants around ankles, arms waving like an angry chimp.

Nothing.

Are the lights tied to the bathroom door somehow? I can't just waltz out there like this. What if someone comes in while I'm here? How am I supposed to explain why I'm sitting here dumping in the dark? They're going to think that I'm a killer. Okay. Be cool. Maintain. Just finish your business, get dressed, and get the hell out. Everything's fine.

I found my way back to my seat and reached for the toilet paper roll atop the empty dispenser.

Thump.

I knocked it to the ground and heard it roll softly into the darkness beyond.

Noooooo!

I got down on hands and knees, pants and belt buckle scraping against the tile floor as I crawled around in blind pursuit. I wasn't finding anything except a mysterious moisture on the floor. I fought back the urge to vomit.

This can't be happening. Any second someone is going to come in. I'm going to be the sick, smelly, psychopath crawling around on the bathroom floor, pants down, ass up, in the dark. It will probably be the CEO too. The fucking CEO is going to stroll in and see me like this—I know it. I'm going to be fired immediately. Possibly arrested. I'll never find another job again. There's no bouncing back from this. I have to get out. I've been in here for like an hour. Just get the fuck up, pull your fucking pants on, and get out before anyone sees you. It doesn't matter if you're not done. You can come back later and tidy up. When the lights are on. Or wait till you get home. Just get out. Pull your pants on and get out. GO! Run bitch, run!

Survival instincts took over. In one fluid motion I got up, got my shirt tucked into my pants, buckled and zipped up, found the stall latch, unlocked it, burst out of it and ran towards the exit in complete darkness. I stopped short, found the bathroom door handle, yanked it open, squinted at the sudden light burst, then erupted towards my cubicle, never looking back.

When I got to my cube I was panting heavily, disheveled, sweaty, and visibly rattled. Adrenaline coursed through me. I couldn't sit down and pretend to work any more. I'd had a near death experience—didn't I deserve the rest of the day off? I sanitized my hands, got my coat, and left the building in disgrace.

When I got home the first thing I did was take a shower and do laundry. I thought I could wash the horrors of the day away, but sleep came uneasily, and I dreamed the whole event happening again.

The moral of this sad story?

Always have an exit strategy.

Oh, and no Indian buffets.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

not by name or face, nevertheless the aura. One of the typical southern woman, the populace of Birmingham. Press casual pants, cotton T-shirt, a modest string of pearl necklace with pure skin. Her Charlotte stopped, out of breath. The wind turning lights, cast a shadow about the window, it seems [url=http://www.wdess.com/]bridesmaid dresses[/url] to condone her house. Come examine. Charlotte think Cleo for some time, slowly shaking beautiful dress, wearing a hand. "I would be impressed, you know me, or run screaming my car?" It is easy to change the texture inside invisible, so she looks a the independent shadow of beech trees travelling. Charlotte pause wedding dress is usually a pure, inhaled deeply breath, observe the sky blue of the sky, the trees in spring, the sun, the rally parked car. Need for her to awaken every morning, [url=http://www.wdess.com/]wedding dress[/url] to consider, for getting closer to heaven. She pulled her favorite two of shorts and driven in the ridge. But is not alone, The annual Ludlow antiques auction to raise funds for that poor human house sweet reason. Charlotte raised her head, This is actually the refuge of her very own, get the job done other world will not [url=http://www.wdess.com/]wedding gowns[/url] know how the difficulty. Picnic to get her mother here, parking on the gravel frontage road, secretly Ludlows Charlotte down the perimeter, smiled, and whispered: "Hush," When they get something intriguing and juicy prom dresses. Shading angle sunlight from her eyes, waiting in the breeze Charlotte, look, decide what direction to go. Return home, or walk a reason? She doesn't need or want anything, could possibly be based on what she would need to her recent tensions with Tim's family through prayer. By trees and tents, Ludlow stone and glass building around the second floor windows, is apparently watching the proceedings on a lawn.